No one loves to comment on your love life (or lack there of), more than your family. That’s literally what they’re for I think. Once you hit your twenty’s, and you graduate from university/college, it is the only thing they have left to talk to you about. The holidays are the prime opportunity for them to grill you on the subject – at least in my family. Luckily for me, I have now been inducted into the “20-something, graduated, and single” hall of fame in my family, providing my old school, obnoxious, nosey, traditional Polish-Canadian family with a new topic of discussion. Since this weekend is Thanksgiving, I decided to share some of the wonderful things my loving family has come up with. The following are a couple of my personal favourite comments, here to remind the rest of you single 20-somethings that you are not alone.
- “You have plenty of time, you’re young” – This is supposed to sound comforting. But its not
- “You’ll find someone when you’re ready” – I am ready.
- “When I was your age I was getting married” – Cool story bro. When was that? 1950?
- “Are you sure you’re not being too picky?” – If someone says this to you they deserve a judgmental stare.
- “You have to love yourself before someone else can” – I do love myself. I have nice hair and I’m funny and I love how I am always hungry because eating is my favourite thing to do. I’m awesome.
- “Have you tried online dating?” – No offence to those of you who online date, but in my head online dating is for divorcees who are going through a mid life crisis, and creepy men who say they’re good looking on their profile, but are scary pedophiles in real life. Oh, and die hard Christians from the south. So, thanks for the suggestion, but no thanks (and I’ve tried Tinder and I wasn’t down).
- “Maybe one of your guy friends is in love with you” – This is my personal favourite. I am going to go ahead and assume that if this were true, they wouldn’t talk about other girls and discuss their Tinder matches with me, whilst referring to me as sexually neutral because I drink beer and eat pizza with them. Not only am I not interested, but my sexual appeal to them is definitely out of the question. Thank you for the suggestion though.
This article was originally posted on claireeball.com on October 9, 2015.